With nine sisters, a sister-in-law, a niece, and a mom in our family that are all pretty handy in the kitchen, I thought it would be a great idea for us to pool our recipes together so that the age old question "What should I make for dinner?" will always have a ready answer. Of course, we won't be sharing only dinner recipes. We will be including desserts, side dishes, appetizers and anything else we enjoy making and/or eating, as well as tips and tricks we've picked up along the way. While the main contributors are the Sellers Sisters, we invite all of you to share your faves with us, too! Just email your recipe/tip or put it in the comments and I will turn it into a post for all to see. I hope you enjoy this and find the solution to your dinner dilemma! Enjoy! -Cari-

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Easy Peasy Homemade Bread

I just got this recipe the day before yesterday from a friend (thanks Deborah!) and tried it out last night. Mmmm, mmm, good. This is a recipe for basic white bread, but stay tuned for variations of this recipe as I will be experimenting with it a bit.



Easy Peasy Homemade Bread

4 cups Flour
2 teaspoons Salt
2 tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Yeast
1 1/2 cups Warm Water (plus a little)
2 tablespoons Oil

Blend flour and salt. Add remaining ingredients and mix together. (Add more flour as necessary.) Knead for 10 minutes or so. Rub a little oil inside the bowl and ad dough. Flip the dough over to get oil on both sides. Cover and allow to rise in a warm spot for one hour. Shape the dough and place in greased pan. (Enough dough for 2 bread pans or 1 large baking sheet) Slit top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing.

Note: When I made it, I didn't have any bread pans, so I just shaped the entire ball of dough into one large loaf, glazed it with a small amount of melted butter, baked it on a Pampered Chef stone bar pan for 30 minutes and it came out perfect. It is a dense bread, but not very heavy, which is perfect for smearing some butter and jam on. ;) I also had to let mine rise for a lot longer than the recipe calls for, because I had to run an errand, but I just beat it down a bit and let it rise for another hour when I got home.

Try out this recipe and comment with the results. I can't wait to hear if any of you tried it and how you liked it.

No comments: